Re: Windows v Linux

Hi Bob...

I would spend $100 and buy another 1GB of RAM for your Windows
machine.  Others may disagree, but I believe you wont gain anything
regarding IDV resource utililization by going to Linux.  In addition,
for background image generation, Windows seems to be easier to work
with than Linux .... but then again, I'm no Linux expert, either.

Depending on what you're doing, there are things you can do to
mitigate the resource issues.  For example, if you are generating,
say, a 500mb analysis...then when you create the bundle, specify in
the Field Selector that it should only read the 500mb level data.

By far, images consume the largest amount of resource; but other
issues do crop up -- for example, if you plot tens of thousands of
surface obs.

Also, for generating stuff in the background, you can spcify the
priory as less than average which will help any cpu cycle contention
that may occur.

I should also add at this point, that it's important to get the latest
releases.  Don & Jeff are constantly improving the preformance....for
example, there is a huge difference between 2.1 and 2.2 (and the
upcoming 2.3, I might add).

I would also not leave the IDV running all the time -- instead, I
would use the schedule tasks or cron-like program to fire it off when
needed.

That's all for now -- I'm sure others will have opinions.

Good luck,

tom