From: gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on
behalf of Russ Schumacher [russ.schumacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:46 AM
To: gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gembud] DCGRIB2 failing on new NAM CONUS-nest files

Hello gembuds,

Since the recent NAM upgrade, my call to DCGRIB2 to decode some of the fields
into GEMPAK format files has been failing.

In particular, here’s an example command and the error message:

dcgrib2 -m 10000 -v 1 -d logs/dcgrib2_namnest.log -e GEMTBL=$GEMTBL -e
MDMETH=MDGDEC YYYYMMDDHHfFFF_nam4km.gem < nam.t00z.conusnest.hiresf60.tm00.grib2
 Opening WMO Originating Center Table wmocenter.tbl...
 Opening WMO GRIB2 Parameter Table g2varswmo2.tbl...
 Opening WMO GRIB2 Vertical Coordinate Table g2vcrdwmo2.tbl...
Abort trap: 6

So, not a very instructive error message, unfortunately.

The GRIB2 files can be found at (for example):
http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/nam/prod/nam.20170322/nam.t00z.conusnest.hiresf60.tm00.grib2
  (although I’m only pulling a subset of fields…but I also tested a full file
and got the same result)

I’m using GEMPAK 7.3.1 on a Mac OS X.  This command always worked prior to the
NAM upgrade, and NAGRIB2 works just fine on these new files, so I suspect
there’s just something in the decoder tables, etc., for DCGRIB2 that need to be
updated.  Any ideas/solutions would be welcome — thanks!

Russ

--
Russ S. Schumacher
Associate Professor