Re: [gembud] AWIPS/N-AWIPS Bridging the Gap?

  • To: "Pettee, Warren" <wpettee@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gembud] AWIPS/N-AWIPS Bridging the Gap?
  • From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate <gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:38:34 -0500
With wide distribution of AWIPS-II on the (event?) horizon, and with NWS
and the National Centers all going toward AWIPS-II, and speaking as someone
who doesn't use it operationally at all, I'm not sure bridging the
differences are a priority any more. I understand that Gempak will continue
to hang around (a good thing, in my mind) but I'd concentrate on learning
and using AWIPS-II.

There are folks on here who've got more informed, and more official
opinions. Hopefully they'll comment.

gerry

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Pettee, Warren <wpettee@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

>  I was just curious, has anyone ever attempted to bridge the
> functionality gap that exists between N-AWIPS and AWIPS? Mainly functions
> provided by D2D and LAPS that are not readily available in N-AWIPS. I'm
> still warming up to the abilities of GEMPAK, so I could be missing
> something in my argument here.
>

>  Thanks,
>

>  Warren
>

> *Warren Pettee Undergraduate - Meteorology *Department of Geography and
> Earth Sciences
> University of North Carolina at Charlotte
> 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223
> wpettee@xxxxxxxx

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371