Re: [gembud] Generating NEXRAD radar imagery with gpmap_gf

Pete,
     I'm not piping the incoming files through anything - just saving them in
the incoming format:

NNEXRAD ^SDUS[23578]. .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])([0-6][0-9]).*/p(...)(...)
        FILE    -close  -overwrite
data/gempak/nexrad/NIDS/\5/\4/\4_(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1_\2\3

Greg

On Apr 30, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Pete Pokrandt wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Are you using the original compressed level III products, or are you piping
> them through ucnids to uncompress them? I had a similar problem to this using
> nex2gini in GEMPAK 6.2. Occasionally the ucnids uncompressed products would
> be corrupt somehow and cause the nex2gini program to just hang. Eventually my
> system would hang with many, many hung gempak processes.
>
> I changed my setup so I am now just saving the level III files in their
> compressed format and letting GEMPAK uncompress, so far no problems.
>
> Not sure if this is your problem, but figured I'd throw it out there.
>
> Pete
>

> On 04/30/2012 01:10 PM, daryl herzmann wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Greg Stossmeister wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone generate a lot of individual NEXRAD level III products with
>>> gpmap_gf? I'm trying to generate real-time plots of NOQ Reflectivity and
>>> NOU Velocity from 30 radars in the midwest and its crashing my server after
>>> a few hours, even when I only run 3 plots at a time. I'm running
>>> GEMPAK6.4.0 on a RHEL 6 machine with 64 GB of memory. I'm wondering what
>>> I'm doing wrong and if someone has a better way of doing this.
>>
>> crashing your server, how?  Exhausting memory?  kernic panic?  Are the
>> processes not going away once running them?  How are you running them?
>>
>> daryl
>>

> --
> Pete Pokrandt - Systems Programmer
> UW-Madison Dept of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
> 608-262-3086  - poker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Greg Stossmeister
Head - Collaborative Tools and Metadata Group
NCAR/Earth Observing Laboratory (EOL)
Telephone: (303)497-8692  Facsimilie:(303)497-2044
e-mail: gstoss@xxxxxxxx
Mailing Address:          Shipping Address:
NCAR/EOL                    UCAR Foothills Lab 1
P.O. Box 3000               3450 Mitchell Ln
Boulder, CO 80307      Boulder, CO 80301