Re: [gembud] Using DCMETR

Hi Colton - We are pulling data off NOAA's tgftp server and running it
through dcmetr.  But we found (thanks to Steve Chizwell) that we needed to
bound the ob with a string of "AFOS" control characters for the decoder to
work.  Here is what we did -

1. Created a script "addafos.csh" as follows (these are all zeroes, not
capital "Oh"s)

#!/bin/csh -f
printf "\001\r\r\n000 \r\r\n"
cat
printf "\r\r\n\003"

2. chmod 777 afos.csh)

3. Run the ob (contained in ob.txt) through addafos.csh and dcmetr as
follows
cat ob.txt | ./addafos.csh | dcmetr -a 500 -v 2 -t 60
$GEMDATA/obs/hrly/YYYYMMDD.hrly

Our decode script which contains step 3 actually will make "addafos.csh"
if it doesnt exist locally. By the way you may want to try pulling
ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles/hhZ.txt (where hh
is the current hour in UTC).  This contains specials and will allow you
decode all obs around the globe in less than 15 min.  If you run a master
decode script every 15 min, you will have updated obs (surface, not ship),
from anywhere over the globe.

Pete