RE: Satellite Imagery and CMC Data

GEMPAK can use McIDAS AREA format or GINI format.  The best place to get
free imagery from for use in GEMPAK (assuming you don't have NOAAport
and don't have McIDAS and can't use the McIDAS ADDE server) is from NCEP
via FTP at:

ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov

cd to

/pub/data/nccf/images/satellite/

and you will see GOES-E and GOES-W with all sorts of subdirectories. These images are in McIDAS AREA format.

As far as the CMC data, we do the same thing here.  It's quite easy to
put into GEMPAK.  Here is my retrieval script.  We signed an agreement
(free by the way) with CMC to get the highres data out to 72 hours so I
just get the public lores data for 78 and greater.  Just source your
Gemenviron, cat the raw grib files and pipe them to dcgrib2.

#!/bin/csh
cd /usr/tmp
mkdir $$
cd /usr/tmp/$$
set HR=3D$1
source ~gempak/GEMPAK/Gemenviron
set date=3D`date +%Y%m%d`
wget -nd -r -l1 -A '*CMC*P078*'
http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/public/lores/CMC_glb_${HR}/
cat CMC*P078* | dcgrib2 -m 99999
/data/ldm/gempak/model/cmc/${date}${HR}_cmcglobex.gem
wget -nd -r -l1 -A '*CMC*P08*'
http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/public/lores/CMC_glb_${HR}/
cat CMC*P08* | dcgrib2 -m 99999
/data/ldm/gempak/model/cmc/${date}${HR}_cmcglobex.gem
wget -nd -r -l1 -A '*CMC*P09*'
http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/public/lores/CMC_glb_${HR}/
cat CMC*P09* | dcgrib2 -m 99999
/data/ldm/gempak/model/cmc/${date}${HR}_cmcglobex.gem
wget -nd -r -l1 -A '*CMC*P1*'
http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/public/lores/CMC_glb_${HR}/
cat CMC*P1* | dcgrib2 -m 99999
/data/ldm/gempak/model/cmc/${date}${HR}_cmcglobex.gem
cd /usr/tmp
rm -rf $$

Hope this helps.

Robert Mullenax