Re: [Gempak] Radar Level II question

The original Level II data did not have the station ID in the header record (that was added at my suggestion later). Unidata may have a way to work around that in GEMPAK.

David Novak wrote:

Thanks Steve and all,

One other question...I recently downloaded Nexrad Level II radar data for a Dec 2000 case from the NCDC HADS website:
http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/pls/plhas/has.dsselect

The data in 2000 is apparently in a different format than more recent data, since a more on the data files shows different text at the top. Consequently, I get the following error upon trying to plot using gpnexr2:

Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT: : No such file or directory
wsr88d_to_radar: No valid site ID info found.
[IM -3]  Image file
/usr1/data/dnovak/radar/001230/OKX/KOKX_20001230_0959 not a supported format
[IM -8]  Could not open LUT file ...
[GEMPLT -15]  NIPROJ - Invalid projection specified.
[GG -7]  No map drawn.
[GEMPLT -15]  NIPROJ - Invalid projection specified.
[GG -13]  Error drawing lat/lon grid.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Dave
P.S. The data file was too large to post...

Steve Chiswell wrote:

David,

We decode the NLDN data from binary files into GEMPAK surface
files and use SFMAP to plot the data, points, etc.

Since your data is not of the same format as our IDD feed to
use our dcnldn decoder, you can put your data into the
ascii format used by SFLIST for importing into a GEMPAK
surface file using SFEDIT as shown here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/gempak/msg04454.html

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support