From: Peter Baumann [mailto:p.baumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:36 AM
To: Steve Hankin
Cc: Unidata GALEON; Steven Keens; Max Martinez
Subject: Re: [galeon] how to handle "slicing" through n-D cubes?

Steve,

thanks again for explaining to me how your community handles the case.
In the end we agreed to go as follows in WCS:
- the slicing operation defines which axes remain in the output coverage
- the server is obliged to provide some fitting CRS for the resulting
axis constellation (essentially, this only says: return a consistent
coverage)

This should give degree of freedeom to servers to respond with something
appropriate for their situation, and it allows us to keep all the
intricate CRS issues out of the core.

>From what I understand when reading the page you list below this is
compatible with our approach chosen.

So thanks again, that helped.

-Peter

Steve Hankin wrote:

Peter Baumann wrote:

Steve-

thanks a lot for taking time on this. Some questions inline:

Steve Hankin wrote:

Hi Peter,

I'll start the ball on this with a short answer.

CF datasets are self-describing.  They do not reference a controlled
vocabulary of coordinate reference systems external to the file.  Thus a

CF subset of a valid CF dataset is always another valid CF dataset and
its geo-location is self-describing -- even if it has fewer dimensions
than the parent file.  The question you are asking does not really apply

to CF datasets "in their native habitat".

I see. Does this inline description change during subsetting? I.e., when
you are building 2-D slices (just as an example) is elevation and time
information removed from the embedded CRS information? (They may well
remain somewhere in a metadata description, this is not our concern for
now.)

If we imagine extracting (say) a single 2D slice in the XT (lon-time)
plane from a 4D XYZT dataset, then the Y and Z axes are conceptually
reduced to single points ("projected").  A well constructed CF dataset
will include single point axes (*) for Y and Z, just as it includes
multi-point axes for X and T.  We sometimes speak of the 2D slice as
being a degenerate 4D dataset, since it still possesses the full 4D
coordinate machinery.   The way in which the slice is embedded into the
larger coordinate system remains self-describing.

In a similar manner, an in situ observation of a vertical profile or of
a time series may simply be regarded as a degenerate 4D dataset.  With
this outlook broad classes of data may legitimately be thought of as
"gridded" (though using that term would lead to confusion in some
circles).  This is part of the power of the netCDF data model -- that it
unifies the representation and semantics of so many different types of
features.

(*) footnote to say that there is a also a short-hand way to represent
scalar axes in CF ... but using it doesn't alter the self-describing
nature of the file.

     - Steve

Echoing your question back:  CF 1.2 (??) added a section on "5.6. Grid
Mappings and Projections Horizontal Coordinate Reference Systems", which

is specifically to handle the associations between CF datasets and the
corresponding crs.
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/cf-conventions.ht
ml#grid-mappings-and-projections).
Should this mapping be refined to address solutions to 4D (n-D)
subsetting that you have developed in WCS?

Interesting to read this, it helps us to understand your approach.
Actually, we are not yet in a position to answer this question,
currently we are trying to disentangle issues of slicing functionality
and CRS handling (the former we would like to have in the core, the
latter in an extension). We will gladly come back for this reverse
discussion once we have something in our hands.

-Peter

    - Steve

=============================

Peter Baumann wrote:

        Hi community,

        in the WCS group we are wondering how you deal with subsetting
        operations in n-D data spaces - obviously a result with less
        dimensions than the original cube needs to get a different CRS
        associated. How do you find the appropriate result CRS, for
example,
        for a x/t cut from an x/y/z/t cube?

        thanks in advance for any bits of wisdom,
        Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx