Re: [galeon] how to handle "slicing" through n-D cubes?

Steve-

thanks a lot for taking time on this. Some questions inline:

Steve Hankin wrote:
Hi Peter,

I'll start the ball on this with a short answer.

CF datasets are self-describing. They do not reference a controlled vocabulary of coordinate reference systems external to the file. Thus a CF subset of a valid CF dataset is always another valid CF dataset and its geo-location is self-describing -- even if it has fewer dimensions than the parent file. The question you are asking does not really apply to CF datasets "in their native habitat".
I see. Does this inline description change during subsetting? I.e., when you are building 2-D slices (just as an example) is elevation and time information removed from the embedded CRS information? (They may well remain somewhere in a metadata description, this is not our concern for now.)

Echoing your question back: CF 1.2 (??) added a section on "5.6. Grid Mappings and Projections Horizontal Coordinate Reference Systems", which is specifically to handle the associations between CF datasets and the corresponding crs. (http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/cf-conventions.html#grid-mappings-and-projections). Should this mapping be refined to address solutions to 4D (n-D) subsetting that you have developed in WCS?
Interesting to read this, it helps us to understand your approach. Actually, we are not yet in a position to answer this question, currently we are trying to disentangle issues of slicing functionality and CRS handling (the former we would like to have in the core, the latter in an extension). We will gladly come back for this reverse discussion once we have something in our hands.

-Peter

    - Steve

Peter Baumann wrote:
Hi community,

in the WCS group we are wondering how you deal with subsetting operations in n-D data spaces - obviously a result with less dimensions than the original cube needs to get a different CRS associated. How do you find the appropriate result CRS, for example, for a x/t cut from an x/y/z/t cube?

thanks in advance for any bits of wisdom,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
  mail: p.baumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx