Re: [galeon] plan for establishing CF-netCDF as an OGC standard

Hi Ron, all,

I think it's confusing to talk about "the NetCDF API", because in
reality there are lots of APIs at work in reading data using what
might loosely be called "NetCDF technologies".  So when we talk about
"standardizing NetCDF APIs through OGC" we could be talking about
several different things:

1) Standardizing the NetCDF data model as a means of structuring
array-based information (this could be an implementation of a
Coverage, in fact Bryce Nordgren has compared the NetCDF data model
with ISO19123 Coverages).  The data model describes a kind of
language-independent API.  Importantly, lots of file formats can be
modelled using the NetCDF data model.

2) Standardizing the NetCDF file format as a means of encoding data on
disk.  There are APIs in many languages for reading this format.

3) Standardizing the Climate and Forecast metadata conventions as a
means of georeferencing the arrays and adding semantics.  The
interpretation of these conventions requires another API.

4) Standardizing the Data Access Protocol as a request-response
mechanism for getting data using web services.  The request-response
mechanism is another API.

In the NetCDF community, we are very accustomed to simply using the
second type of API in our programs, with the rest of the APIs being
handled transparently behind the scenes in our tools.

The following expansion is intended for those who are unfamiliar with
NetCDF technologies - Unidata guys can go to sleep now!

Very briefly, the NetCDF data model considers Datasets, which contain
Variables (temperature, salinity etc), which contain Arrays of data.
There are structures for holding coordinate systems for the data in
the Arrays.  Georeferencing is achieved through the use of attributes,
whose names are standardized in the Climate and Forecast (CF)
conventions.

In terms of data transport, we always have the possibility to just
transfer NetCDF files from place to place.  However, Steve hit the
nail on the head when he said:

> It is the direct connection
> between data and applications (or intermediate services) -- i.e. the
> disappearance of the "physical" (binary) file -- which seems like the
> service-oriented vision.

We can create "virtual" datasets, then expose them through the Data
Access Protocol.  The data model of the DAP is very close to that of
NetCDF, so data transport on the wire is very nearly lossless.  The
client can get a handle to a Variable object, which might actually
reside physically on a remote server, and whose data might actually be
spread across different files.  It's extremely powerful and useful.
(It's even more powerful when you consider that the NetCDF data model
can be applied to many different file formats such as GRIB, the WMO
standard.  This means that the "NetCDF Variable" in question might
actually be a virtual variable consisting of a thousand individual
GRIB files.)

One key difference between this method and GML/WFS is that the DAP
protocol knows nothing about geographic information: this information
is carried in the (CF-compliant) attributes, which require
interpretation by an intelligent client.  Also, the data are
transported as arrays in compressed binary format so there's little
chance of a human being able to interpret the data stream on the wire.
 However, this allows the efficient transport of large data volumes.
The opaqueness of the DAP is handled through the use of tools: humans
hardly ever construct DAP requests manually.

Hope this helps,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre