Re: [galeon] FOSS4G?

Hi Ben,

Perhaps you (or someone else) could identify some key datasets that
could be installed along with TDS on the CCIP machines?  Perhaps some
climatologies or weather forecasts?  I know that CCIP has something of
an Australian focus (since FOSS4G is in Oz this year) and that TDS is
popular in Australia.  The CCIP guys are particularly looking for
freely-available data that could be licensed under Creative Commons or
something similar.

Also, don't forget that TDS now has a WMS interface too! ;-)

Cheers, Jon

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Ben Domenico <Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi George,
> If I understand your suggestion, something like our THREDDS Data Server
> which includes a WCS interface to many different types of environmental data
> would be appropriate.
> The TDS homepage is at:
>     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/TDS.html
>
> We have our own prototype TDS at Unidata serving a wide variety of real-time
> weather data.  The html interface is at:
>     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/TDS.html
>
> There is another TDS at the NOAA Pacific Fisheries Lab:
>     http://oceanwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/thredds/catalog.html
>
> and another at the US National Climatic Data Center:
>     http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/catalog.html
>
> There are quite a few other, but those should provide a sense of what's
> available and what can be done with the TDS and what can and can't be done
> with WCS(yet).  These servers illustrate the type of data and services we
> are attempting to provide via OGC interfaces.  We've made progress in the
> limited set that can be served via WCS.  And the proposed CF-netCDF
> extension to WCS is a big step in that direction.
> Even so, I'm not sure what it would mean to participate in CCIP.  It would
> be possible to implement a TDS on the CCIP server, but none of our datasets
> are there so that doesn't make sense.  And travel expenses are always an
> issue in terms of participating in the meetings themselves to demonstrate
> clients using TDS servers.
> -- Ben
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:00 AM, George Percivall
> <gpercivall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Ben,
>> OSGeo and OGC have a complimentary and productive relationship based upon
>> an MOU between the two organizations.
>> A great  example of the collaboration is at the next FOSS4G run by OSGeo,
>> OGC will be leading a Climate Change Integration Plugfest (CCIP).  The CCIP
>> will demonstrate standards based interoperability between geospatial
>> applications based on a Climate Change scenario.
>> http://www.osgeo.org/news/2009/01/FOSS4G_Integration
>> http://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/pressreleases/951
>>
>> The GALEON community could interact with OSGeo in many ways here are a
>> couple of suggestions:
>> 1) participate in the CCIP.
>> 2) identify an open-source project that implements OGC standards, e.g.,
>> WCS, as an OSGeo Project.     OSGeo has a process and resources for
>> community development of open-source geospatial software.  There are several
>> examples of OSGeo projects implementing OGC specifications.
>> OSGeo projects implementing OGC specifications has been successful in the
>> past and it may be appropriate in the GALEON context.
>>

>> Relevant to this is the motion approved at the OGC meeting this month:
>>  "Web Coverage Service Standards Working Group release of NetCDF extension"
>> The OGC Members approved release of 09-018 Web Coverage Service (WCS)
> [...]

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK