Re: Alden update...

NOTE: The difax mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi Don,

Unidata does not have a contract with Alden to provide DIFAX via LDM,  each
individual site has their own contract.  Please re-read Dave Fulker's  note of
August 28 which explains this and Unidata position on the  future of DIFAX.

You are right. Got it.

Also, for DIFAX related issues, difax@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is perhaps a  better
forum. ldm-users is intended for discussing LDM specific issues,  such as
problems with the program or (unfortunately, IMHO) IDD data  problems. There is
only a very small subset of the entire ldm-users list  that depends on Alden
for data, DIFAX or otherwise. There are other  users on that list that use LDM,
but who do not even participate in  the IDD - NWS, private companies, etc. I
appreciate you trying to keep  other Alden customers informed, but using
ldm-users to distribute this  information may give the impression that the
successful operation of the  IDD is still dependent on Alden's participation,
which it is not.

True, but there are at least a dozen or so who use their DDPLUS feed from here (LSU is one example, but there are many others).
It may be moot at this point, but I'm sure Unidata would be willing  to set up
an alden-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list for discussion of  Alden related problems.

Again, these are my personal thoughts.

Thank you! And actually, no offense, but this may be a moot point. :-)  Between
you and me, Alden is dead. I bring this up as to explore other options with the
LDM community. I have been getting many phone calls and emails about the issue,
so I know it's just not a few people, otherwise I would not have sent the
messages out. That said, as you said, it's probably all a dead issue; by
October 1, Alden should be no more.

  • Search the difax archives: