Re: which table to use?

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

thanks for the info,

robb...

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Keith Fielding wrote:

Dear Robb,

If you are working with raw GRIB data then as defined by WMO,
in GRIB section 1

Byte 4 is the code table number
Byte 5 is the centre identifier and 98 is used for ECMWF data.

Most ECMWF atmospheric data uses ECMWF local GRIB table 128 and
wave data uses ECMWF local GRIB table 140. A few ERA-40 fields
use other table as do some EPS, seasonal and monthly forecasts
fields, but the table is always in section 1.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Keith

> hiya,
>
> my work includes decoding grib products to other formats such as netcdf,
> etc. one model from ecmwf has me confused about what table to use in
> decoding the parameters. the center, sub-center, and table version number
> are 98 (ecmwf), 0 ( wmo ), 1 (?).  i assume 1 relates to version number
> 128 but wanted to confirm this is true. according to your site
> www.ecmwf.int there are table version numbers 128, 129, 130, 131, 140,
> 150, 151, 160, 170, 180, and 190. are there others?  the model is the
> composition of grid 1-12 from ecmwf. thanks for the information.
>
> robb...

Regards

Keith Fielding

              |  Mr. Keith Fielding                     |
              |  Data Services                          |
              |  ECMWF                                  |
              |  Shinfield Park                         |
              |  Reading RG2 9AX                        |
              |  UK                                     |
              |  Phone: (0118) 949 9453                 |
              |    Fax: (0118) 986 9450                 |
              |   Intl: (+44-118) 949 9453              |
              |       : (+44-118) 986 9450              |
              |  Email: Data.Services@xxxxxxxxx         |
              |  WWW  : http://www.ecmwf.int            |

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

  • Search the decoders archives: