Re: FW: Re: NCEP North American Reanalysis (fwd)

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

hiya,

i downloaded the file from the last message, created a cdl, and decoded
the grb file. there might be something wrong with Dan's  decoders build or
it could be a platform issue. this was done on a solaris box 5.9  The
narr.cdl file is attached and the files narr.cdl, narr.grb, and narr.nc are
in the Unidata's ftp dir at

ftp unidata.ucar.edu

% cd pub/contrib
% mget narr*

robb....

cdl:

netcdf narr{

dimensions:
       record = UNLIMITED ;   // (reference time, forecast time)
       x = 349 ;
       y = 277 ;
       time_len = 21 ;        // string length for datetime strings
       valtime_offset = 1 ;   // number of offset times
       nmodels = 1 ;          // number of models
       ngrids = 1 ;           // number of grids
       nav = 1 ;              // for navigation
       nav_len = 100 ;        // max string length for navigation strings

variables:

       double reftime(record) ; // reference time of the model
              reftime:long_name = "reference time" ;
              reftime:units = "hours since 1992-1-1" ;

       double valtime(record) ; // forecast time ("valid" time)
              valtime:long_name = "valid time" ;
              valtime:units = "hours since 1992-1-1" ;

       :record = "reftime, valtime" ; // "dimension attribute" -- means
                                       // (reftime, valtime) uniquely
                                       // determine record

       char   datetime(record, time_len) ; // derived from reftime
              datetime:long_name = "reference date and time" ;
              // units YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ssZ  (ISO 8601)

       double valtime_offset(valtime_offset) ; // valtime - reftime
              valtime_offset:long_name = "hours from reference time" ;
              valtime_offset:units = "hours" ;

       char   forecasttime(record, time_len) ; // derived from valtime
              forecasttime:long_name = "forecast date and time" ;
              // units YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ssZ  (ISO 8601)

       long   model_id(nmodels) ;
              model_id:long_name = "generating process ID number" ;

       // navigation variables all use nav dimension

       char   nav_model(nav, nav_len) ;        // navigation parameterization
              nav_model:long_name = "navigation model name" ;

       int    grid_type_code(nav) ;
              grid_type_code:long_name = "GRIB-1 GDS data representation type" ;

       char   grid_type(nav, nav_len) ;
              grid_type:long_name = "GRIB-1 grid type" ;

       char   grid_name(nav, nav_len) ;
              grid_name:long_name = "grid name" ;

       int    grid_center(nav) ;
              grid_center:long_name = "GRIB-1 originating center ID" ;

       int    grid_number(nav, ngrids) ;
              grid_number:long_name = "GRIB-1 catalogued grid numbers" ;
              grid_number:_FillValue = -9999 ;

       char   x_dim(nav, nav_len) ;
              x_dim:long_name = "x dimension name" ;

       char   y_dim(nav, nav_len) ;
              y_dim:long_name = "y dimension name" ;

       long   Nx(nav) ;
              Nx:long_name = "number of points along x-axis" ;

       long   Ny(nav) ;
              Ny:long_name =  "number of points along y-axis" ;

       float  La1(nav) ;
              La1:long_name = "latitude of first grid point" ;
              La1:units = "degrees_north" ;

       float  Lo1(nav) ;
              Lo1:long_name = "longitude of first grid point" ;
              Lo1:units = "degrees_east" ;

       float  Lov(nav) ;
              Lov:long_name = "orientation of the grid" ;
              Lov:units = "degrees_east" ;

       float  Dx(nav) ;
              Dx:long_name = "x-direction grid length" ;
              Dx:units = "km" ;

       float  Dy(nav) ;
              Dy:long_name = "y-direction grid length" ;
              Dy:units = "km" ;

       byte   ProjFlag(nav) ;
              ProjFlag:long_name = "projection center flag" ;

       float  Latin1(nav) ;
              Latin1:long_name = "first intersecting latitude" ;
              Latin1:units = "degrees_north" ;

       float  Latin2(nav) ;
              Latin2:long_name = "second intersecting latitude" ;
              Latin2:units = "degrees_north" ;

       float  SpLat(nav) ;
              SpLat:long_name = "latitude of the southern pole" ;
              SpLat:units = "degrees_north" ;

       float  SpLon(nav) ;
              SpLon:long_name = "longitude of the southern pole" ;
              SpLon:units = "degrees_east" ;

       byte   ResCompFlag(nav) ;
              ResCompFlag:long_name = "resolution and component flags" ;

       // end of navigation variables

       float  snow_wat(record,y,x) ;
              snow_wat:long_name = "Water equivalent of accumulated snow depth at
surface of the earth" ;
              snow_wat:GRIB_parameter_number = 65 ;
              snow_wat:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              snow_wat:units = "kg/m2" ;
              snow_wat:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              snow_wat:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  sen_ht_sfc(record,y,x) ;
              sen_ht_sfc:long_name = "Sensible heat flux at surface of the
earth" ;
              sen_ht_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 122 ;
              sen_ht_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              sen_ht_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
              sen_ht_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              sen_ht_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  lat_ht_sfc(record,y,x) ;
              lat_ht_sfc:long_name = "Latent heat flux at surface of the earth"
;
              lat_ht_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 121 ;
              lat_ht_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              lat_ht_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
              lat_ht_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              lat_ht_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  gflux(record,y,x) ;
              gflux:long_name = "Ground heat flux at surface of the earth" ;
              gflux:GRIB_parameter_number = 155 ;
              gflux:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              gflux:units = "W/m2" ;
              gflux:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              gflux:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  pr_water_atm(record,y,x) ;
              pr_water_atm:long_name = "Precipitable water at entire atmosphere
considered as a single layer" ;
              pr_water_atm:GRIB_parameter_number = 54 ;
              pr_water_atm:GRIB_level_flag = 200 ;
              pr_water_atm:units = "kg/m2" ;
              pr_water_atm:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              pr_water_atm:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  dswrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
              dswrf_sfc:long_name = "Downward short wave rad. flux at surface of the
earth" ;
              dswrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 204 ;
              dswrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              dswrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
              dswrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              dswrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  dlwrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
              dlwrf_sfc:long_name = "Downward long wave rad. flux at surface of the
earth" ;
              dlwrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 205 ;
              dlwrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              dlwrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
              dlwrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              dlwrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  uswrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
              uswrf_sfc:long_name = "Upward short wave rad. flux at surface of the
earth" ;
              uswrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 211 ;
              uswrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              uswrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
              uswrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              uswrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

       float  ulwrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
              ulwrf_sfc:long_name = "Upward long wave rad. flux at surface of the
earth" ;
              ulwrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 212 ;
              ulwrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
              ulwrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
              ulwrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
              ulwrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

// global attributes
              :history = "2004-10-19 13:25:56 - created by gribtocdl" ;
              :title = "Enter model definition here" ;
              :Conventions = "NUWG" ;
              :GRIB_reference = "Office Note 388 GRIB" ;
              :GRIB_URL = "http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/"; ;
              :version = 0.0 ;

data:

model_id = 140 ;
valtime_offset = 3 ;

// Navigation
nav_model = "GRIB1" ;
grid_type_code = 3 ;
grid_type = "Lambert conformal projection" ;
grid_name = " " ;
grid_center = 7 ;
grid_number = 221 ;
x_dim = "x" ;