Re: multiple record frames

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Lori Thompson wrote:

Robb-

I wrote earlier to the mailing list regarding hurricane Isabel data that I
was converting from GRIB to NetCDF. Apparently, the GRIB data has a time
range, which gribtocdl doesn't handle that well. As a result, the
conversion from grib => netcdf produced an extra record frame with blank
data. To solve this, I edited the cdl output from gribtocdl and modified
valtime_offset to be equal to 1 rather than 2 in the dimension section and
changed it from 0, $time to $time in the data section. However, this does
not seem to work with my new dataset. It shows a valtime_offset of 1
but the record dimension shows 2. An example grib data file is attached.

Lori,

The problem is the data in the file has more than one reference time, ie

reftime = 41592, 41592, 41591
datetime
 "1996-09-29 00:00:00Z",
 "1996-09-29 00:00:00Z",
 "1996-09-28 23:00:00Z" ;

gribtonc was written for model data with one reference time with offsets
to forecast times.  I believe it was the PRECIP parameter with the
1996-09-28 23:00:00Z reference time. If you remove the PRECIP data then
you  can get the results that you want.

Robb...

Thanks for your help,
Lori

Lori A. Thompson
Applications Programmer/RS Information Systems, Inc.
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory/NOAA
Princeton University Forrestal Campus/Route 1
PO Box 308
Princeton, NJ 08542
Phone: 609-452-6563
Fax:   609-987-5063