Re: gribtonc -now AVN grib model

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Teresa Van Hove wrote:

Hi Robb,

I found some docu from a google search - gribtonc does need the
auxillary packages to be installed in the same directory. Thats
working now.  Now I have a question about the resolution of the AVN
model.  Doug set me up to use 1.25 deg grids a couple of years ago
and now it sounds like the horizontal resolution is higher & also
has more levels; but the documentation I've seen on it is not very
clear - the avn-1.0x1.0.cdl shows 26 levelsl but I dont think there
are that many levels for the temp and RH values, which is all I want
for my applications.  So I'm wondering if you might be able to point
me to some good overviews of the AVN grib model that would give me a
better idea of whether I should switch to the 1 deg lat/lon spacing
and/or add more levels or just stick with the 1.25 spacing with 11
levels that I have now.

Teresa,

The resolution depends on where the file are obtained from, conduit feed
give the 1x1 resolution and the NOAAPORT is the 1.25x1.25 resolution. I
included the avn-1x1.cdl file that I created. The patterns are much
different, something like: *fh.0000_tl.press_gr*  You can use the notifyme
command to find the names of the products, ie

%notifyme -vl - -f CONDUIT

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/modelinfo/

AVN

 SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.avn_CY.hh/RD.yyyymmdd/PT.grid_DF.grl

 fh.0000_t1.press_gr.onedeg    (where fh = 0000 - 0180)
 fh.0192_t1.press_gr.2p5deg    (where fh = 0192 - 0384)

 61 one degree files per cycle -- 61*700kb=42.7Mb
 17 2.5 degree files per cycle -- 17*200kb=3.4Mb
 Total -- 46.1 Mb increase per cycle
 4 cycles per day -- 184.4 Mb

Robb...

Thanks much,

Teresa Van Hove

Robb Kambic wrote:

> Maybe something else is going wrong.  Here's the command line I use that
> sends the errors to the screen, then we can see what's wrong.
>
> % /usr/local/ldm/decoders/gribtonc -v -l - -q "lin,dlat=1.25,dlon=1.25" \
> /usr/local/ldm/decoders/cdls/avn-1.25x1.25.cdl test.nc < HHMA40
>

> Robb...

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
  • Search the decoders archives: