Re: 20031022:GRIB2 to netCDF (fwd)

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:35:19 -0500
From: Tom Whittaker <tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Robb Kambic <rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 20031022:GRIB2 to netCDF

Thanks, Robb.  I didn't realize the GRIB2 was soooo much better at compressing
things that GRIB.  While this means the CONDUIT feed might be "right"
eventually (where there are decoders in the LDM), the real issue remains that
the NWS needs to put the NDFD grids in a NOMADS-serving environment so that
the data can be pulled...

tom

Robb Kambic wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Tom Whittaker wrote:

Hi Robb...

Thanks for your info.  Actually, I'm in an email discussion with NWS about
NDFD grid distribution and wanted to let them know that GRIB2 is currently an
issue for our community.

I'm still trying to get them to understand that we don't always want to have
to ftp complete files, convert them into NetCDF and put them on our own DODS

Tom,

Here are some rough estimates on the grib2->netCDF file size conversions.
A 5.8 meg grib2 ends up as a 180+ meg netCDF file.  The grib2 has has
multple packing schemes/groups of data inside the file and it can have as many
groups it needs to be efficient. Also grib2 has methods to encode
missing values w/o using any data space. It's actually efficient in
packing the data.  Comparing this to grib1->netCDF, it is usually a 10
fold increase, ie grib1 5 meg end up as 50 meg netCDF.  Just wanted you to know
this as size might be an issue in getting the data on NOAAport, CONDUIT,
etc. THREDDS is working on putting a netCDF API on top of grib1 and grib2
files w/o actually converting them to netCDF.  This is in very early
development stages but it will happen.

Robb...

servers (or send the original files via the IDD where they can be 'decoded'
for use).

They still believe that every university has and can use gribtonc and they
should, therefore, just FTP the NDFD data.  I'm pushing them to use the NOMADS
model (the one that uses DODS... ;-)

We'll see.

Thanks again for the info...sorry I don't have any other examples for ya...

tom