Re: gribtonc question

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Mathias D. Mueller wrote:

thanks

i already had compiled with gcc. i did it by setting the following into the
CUSTOMIZE file

 CPP_LDM=-I/usr/local/ldm/include
 LD_LDM='-L/usr/local/ldm/lib -lldm'
#
# netCDF header file and library references:
 CPP_NETCDF=-I/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/include
 LD_NETCDF='-L/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/lib -lnetcdf'
#
# udunits header file and library references:
 CPP_UDUNITS=-I/usr/local/udunits-1.11.3/include
 LD_UDUNITS='-L/usr/local/udunits-1.11.3/lib -ludunits'
#
# Type of C compiler:
 CC='gcc'
#
# C compiler flags:
 CFLAGS=-g
#
# Installation prefix:
 prefix=/usr/local/unidata

the UDUNITS and netcdf library i didn't compile but copied a binary version from
the internet to my usr/local directory, since it seemed to be easier than
compiling:-)

Mathias,
That's probably the problem.

i probaly have to compile those:
which source codes should i use ?

You can get the source from the web page at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/index.html

are there any special flags needed?

Noop

my system: RED HAT 8.0 with
Linux ws-eta 2.4.18-19.8.0 #1 Thu Dec 12 05:39:29 EST 2002 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

I tested it on linux 8.0 last week

Robb...

many thanks and best regards
mathias

Quoting Robb Kambic <rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Mathias D. Mueller wrote:
>
> > hi
> > i am a phd student at the university of basel.
> > i try to decode grib files from my eta model into netcdf.
> >
> > i installed the new decoders.
> > i created a cdl-file, which seems to work.
> > gribdump on the girb file works also and i see all the data in it.
> >
> > however if i call the
> > gribtonc using the cdl-file i get only the message:
> >
> > May 16 12:40:20 gribtonc[31493]: Starting Up
> > segmentation

 fault

> > the nc-file written only probalby only contains the stuff from the
> cdl-file
> >

> > do you have any ideas what might be wrong
>
> Hiya Mathias,
>
> Another user had a similar problem, it turned out to be the compiler
> flags. For linux type systems try:
>
> % setenv CC gcc
>
> For Solaris
>
> % setenv CC cc  or gcc
>
> If that doesn't solve the problem, send me the machine type and the
> version of the OS, ie
>
> % uname -a
>
> If that is the problem, NetCDF and udunits need to be recompiled before
> recompiling the decoders.
>
> Robb...
>

> > best regards and many thanks
> > mathias
> >
> > Mathias D. Müller
> >
> > University of Basel
> > Institute of Meteorology, Climatology and Remote Sensing
> >
> > Klingelbergstr. 27
> > 4056 Basel
> > Tel: (+41 61) 267 07 56
> > my page: http://www.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d