Re: another netcdf/grid question (fwd)

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:50:24 -0600
From: Steve Chiswell <chiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Robb Kambic <rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: another netcdf/grid question (fwd)

The quasi-thinned AVN grids are on grid 255, but the RUC2 grid
is 236/255 (depending on what Cray runs the model).
The 255 code means you have to use the GDS information in the grib
file to determine the type of grid (Octet 6).

The avn on grid 255 is thinned, and must be interpolated to the Lat/lon
grid that is in the CDF file. The RUC2 grid is type 3 (Lambert COnformal).

To determine what projection each grid 255 uses, see table 6 in the grib
description document for the GDS. Then after determining what projection
is used, use table D for the appropriate grid to determine what the
meaning of the octets in the GDS represent.
If your question is in regard to the cdl, as to what you can assume for
the defining projection angles based on grid type, then that should follow from the NUWG convention.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support