Re: 19990127: grib to netcdf

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Melissa Richey wrote:

Hi Robb-

I have modified gribtonc to sort of degrib the variable water vapor
mixing ratio. I modified params.c and params.h by sticking in the
code 185 and associating it with the variable wvmixr.
Missy,

That's what I started to do before I found out about the conflict of 185. The only suggestion I have is to use the brute force method, that is get a
raw grib file including param 185 and use a debugger on gribtonc. My
feeling gribtonc is trying to process 185 according to the NWS manner
instead of the FSL manner.  I'm not the originator of gribtonc and I have
not added/changed params before, so I would have to research this. I'll
look at the code today to see if there is something else. Also, as a guide
line I would look at how the other hybrid ruc2 variables are processed.
Have you changed the cdl wvmixr variable to match your modified gribtonc?

Just some thoughts,
Robb...

As before, it degribs correctly starting at the 29th level, but prior
to that, gives "oversize grib product". Also, gribdump will no longer
produce any output, whereas before the modification, it did.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help-
Missy

+ + Missy, + + I also beleive the convention for new models (ruc2) params is to use
+ numbers that are currently unused. The other models followed that
+ convention. It sure would of made the gribtonc changes much easier.
+ I wonder if NWS will assign water vapor mixing ratio another number
+ because they will probably want to use that parameter also?
+ + Robb... + + + + On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Melissa Richey wrote: + + > Hi Robb-
+ > Thanks-
+ > + > The official (?) Ruc-2 grib table can be found at + > + > http://maps.fsl.noaa.gov/ruc2gribtable.html . + > + > It states that NCEP needs to permanently assign that number, but
+ > we have been able to access water vapor mixing ratio, using
+ > the code number 185, in another program which degribs into
+ > a format different from netcdf.
+ > + > Missy + > + > + + > + Just wanted to let you know that I'm looking at the problem. It's appears
+ > + to be a  gribtonc coding problem, but I'm looking at ruc2.cdl
+ > + modification solution.
+ > + + > + + > + On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Melissa Richey wrote: + > + + > + > Hi Robb- + > + > Thanks for your help with the gribtonc command line. + > + > I was able to figure out what was wrong from the output and I + > + > have been getting pretty good results. I have however, another question + > + > (or two) for
+ > + > you. We would like to degrib the variable "water vapor mixing ratio".
+ > + > In the ruc2.cdl file there is only a variable for "cloud water
+ > + > mixing ratio". In the official grib table, the grib code associated to
+ > + > "water vapor mixing ratio" is 185,
+ > + + > + Where's the official grib table? Wonder why it would be different then
+ > + the 388 Grib manual?
+ > + + > + Robb... + > + + > + but in the grib document you + > + > refer to in another one of your emails, it shows that associated
+ > + > to code 185 is "Turbulence SIGMET/AIRMET", which is the reserved_hybr
+ > + > variable in the ruc2.cdl file. All the other variables that I need
+ > + > degrib successfully, but when the decoder gets to the reserved_hybr + > + > variable, in the log file it prints out 28 levels of + > + > + > + > Feb 04 22:30:52 gribtonc[988]: oversize GRIB product + > + > + > + > and then at the 29th level, it prints out the typical decoding
+ > + > output
+ > + > + > + > Feb 04 22:30:52 gribtonc[988]: 149: wrote reserved_hybr(0,28,*,*) to ruc2.nc + > + > + > + > for the rest of the 40 levels. + > + > + > + > Why is this happening, and is there a variable for "water vapor mixing
+ > + > ratio"? I looked in param.c, but couldn't find anything like that.
+ > + > I am using a hybrid-coodinate ruc2 grib file.
+ > + > + > + > Thanks!!! + > + > + > + > Missy + > + > + > + > + > + ==============================================================================
+ > + Robb Kambic                               Unidata Program Center
+ > + Software Engineer III                     Univ. Corp for Atmospheric
Research
+ > + rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                  WWW:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
+ > +
+ Robb Kambic                              Unidata Program Center
+ Software Engineer III                    Univ. Corp for Atmospheric Research
+ rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                 WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
+ +

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

  • Search the decoders archives: