Re: [data-curation] AWOS Sites Not Yet Available Through NADIN On NOAAPort

  • To: Michael Graf - NOAA Federal <michael.graf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [data-curation] AWOS Sites Not Yet Available Through NADIN On NOAAPort
  • From: "Boris A. Konon" <trwplusa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:31:38 +0000
Mike,

For those sites that have a FAA 4-letter code, their METARs can be made
available.
There are two ways this is done.

1) The 4-character FAA code is officially changed to a 3-character FAA
code, and then
    an then a "K" is put in front, and the METARs then can go out over data
lines, as
    you noted below.

2) An unofficial 3-character code is assigned, but the site still retains
its 4-character
    FAA code.  An example of this is the AWOS at Houston John S Dunn
Heliport.  The
    official FAA code is 38TE, but a 3-letter code was assigned (MCJ) so
the METARs
    go out as KMCJ.  Another example is Pampa/Mesa Vista TX.  TX13 is the
official FAA
    code, but to get METARs out, a three-letter code of BPC was assigned.

Recently, an AWOS was commissioned at a heliport at the Methodist Hospital
of Indiana
in Indianapolis.  Its FAA code is 81II.  However, the unofficial code of
22L was assigned
to it, presumably b/c they want the AWOS METARs added to NADIN eventually.
See
attachment.
[image: airportcode.JPG]
On another subject, only METARs for AWOS-3 or higher are allowed on NADIN
as far as
I know.  AWOS-A, AWOS-AV, AWOS-1, and AWOS-2 are not.

Boris

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 12:41 PM Michael Graf - NOAA Federal <
michael.graf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> fyi...anything in the CONUS with a 4 letter Alpha-numeric will never go on
> NADIN.
>
> Example from this list....
>
> U76      MOUNTAIN HOME             ID *...his is Ok, because if ever
> routed via the NWSTG/WMSCR it would go as KU76
> 75IS     CHICAGO/LURIE             IL...Not ok...we do not route 5 letter
> idents. In this case K75IS
>
> Users that get saddled with these 4 letter alpha-numerics due to the FAA
> rules won't see longline dissemination unless it's via another method, or
> the ident gets changed to a three letter alpha-numeric. The K indicates the
> product is from the CONUS, similarly a P indicates a geographical location
> like Alaska or the Pacific.
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 3:58 PM Boris A. Konon <trwplusa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> For list information, to unsubscribe, or change your membership options,
>> visit: https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/
>>

> --
> Michael L. Graf
> Meteorologist/International Liaison