Re: [conduit] Large CONDUIT latencies to UW-Madison idd.aos.wisc.edu starting the last day or two.

  • To: "Patrick L. Francis" <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [conduit] Large CONDUIT latencies to UW-Madison idd.aos.wisc.edu starting the last day or two.
  • From: Carissa Klemmer - NOAA Federal <carissa.l.klemmer@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:50:50 -0500
Patrick,

So from the looks of your screen grab that is 7 minutes to download the
0.25 GFS from our FTP server. Do you have ideas of how slow that is
compared to normal from Colorado? I will be passing this information on to
our IT folks.

Carissa Klemmer
NCEP Central Operations
Dataflow Team Lead
301-683-3835

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Patrick L. Francis <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> All,
>
> Something bigger than just CONDUIT users occurred on the 19th. We had
> numerous users of other servers complain of similar drops in transfer
> rates. A few of them were also able to move downloads to a new location
> where speeds were normal. We believe that this issue was outside of NCEP
> due to that reasoning. Having said that though, is anyone still seeing
> abnormal rates?
>

> Hi Carissa J
>

> From our Amazon location in VA, everything is fine as it was on Friday…
> From our colo facility, packet loss is still shown via 140.90.111.36, which
> is the hop from gigapop to ncep.. here is an MTR showing the packet loss:
>

> http://drmalachi.org/files/ncep/he-ncep.2016.02.22.jpg
>

> Notice that since our colo is directly on the Hurricane Electric backbone,
> there are only a few hops to get to the ncep server, and pings only jump
> once they reach gigapop.
>

> Here is a screen cap of current download speeds for 0.25deg gfs from the
> ncep server to our colo:
>

> http://drmalachi.org/files/ncep/he-ncep.wget.2016.02.22.jpg
>

> In order to ensure proper delivery, we have setup a push / pull from our
> amazon box to the colo, but most people probably won’t have that
> flexibility.. The issue appears to potentially be related to
> packetfiltering and / or redirection / funneling via certain routes, but
> that’s just a guess J
>

> Happy Monday J
>

> Cheers,
>

> --patrick

> Patrick L. Francis
>
> Vice President of Research & Development
>

> Aeris Weather
>

> http://aerisweather.com/
>
> http://modelweather.com/
>

> http://facebook.com/wxprofessor/