[cf-satellite] Proposal for naming convention for swath dimensions

I suggested in the ESIP Federation CF-Satellite discussion yesterday (July 14, 2011) that the names "line" and "sample" could be good candidates for the names of the geometrical dimensions of swath data variables. I think that these are more generic than previous suggestions, and accommodate a wider range of data acquisition schemes. There can be sensors out there for which even these names are "incorrect", but the vast majority of the data is produced as a raster of some sort. This is common terminology in many other arenas (photogrammetry, for example).

--
Jim Biard

Government Contractor, STG Inc.
Remote Sensing and Applications Division (RSAD)
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard@xxxxxxxx