Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite prototype beta, polarization

Hi.

It seems to me that at least part of the question is whether or not a single multi-band image variable should contain multiple polarizations. Is the concept of band broad enough to encompass polarization as well as wavelength? Is it advisable to try and expand the concept of band to allow for multiple polarizations at the same frequency in a single variable?

The simple approach is to have one variable that contains all the vertical polarization bands, and another that contains all the horizontal polarization bands. After that you get into the question of whether you note the polarization in the long_name attribute for each variable or add an attribute named "polarization" (for example) to each variable, and whether or not to make that attribute part of the satellite convention as Tom mentioned. It wouldn't be a violation to have such an attribute, would it?

Grace and peace,

Jim