Re: [cf-pointobsconvention] Draft 2

NOTE: The cf-pointobsconvention mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

John Caron wrote:
Ethan Davis wrote:
Collections of base types:
- Collection of point data: a set of data points distributed in space and time (unconnected in x, y, z, t) - Collection of profile data: What is the connectedness between profiles?
[a]   - the profiles are not connected (point collection of profiles?)
[b] - the profiles are all for the same location/station and ordered in time (a time series collection of profiles?) [c] - the profiles are from many stations but all for the same time (station collection of profiles?) - Collection of trajectory data: Same here. What is the connectedness between trajectories?

At the moment, the only "collection types" that make generic sense to me are: 1) the set of events occur at random points, and 2) the set of events occur at some set of locations. Case 1) you might call an "unconnected collection" or "point collection" (not as good?)

I added labels to the sub-list of my "collection of profile data" item above. I think your case 1 is the same as my [a].

Case 2) you might call a "station collection". note that it implies a "time series".

And this is the same as my item [b].

All our profile data is stored as collection type [c] above (station collection at a single time). As is our METAR data. So, I think [c] is a collection type we'll see across the base types.

A fourth collection type I didn't mention earlier but may be important to consider is the "point collection of time series" collection which is a collection at many, possibly named, locations where each location has a time series of <base type>.

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690

  • Search the cf-pointobsconvention archives: