[awips2-users] Unidata AWIPS GFS Configuration Updates

AWIPS Users,

As of June 16, 2020 NCEP changed the Vertical Velocity and Total
Precipitation parameters in the GFS FV3 suite that come over NOAAPort. At
Unidata we've made configuration changes to our EDEX system to ingest the
correct parameters and display them in the CAVE menu. The GFS parameter
changes are:

   -

   GFS Vertical Vorticity parameter changed from VVEL (pascals/s) to DZDT
   (m/s)
   -

   GFS Precip Accumulations changed from hourly/3-hourly/6-hourly
   accumulation to total accumulation over the forecast period

CAVE users who connect to the Unidata cloud EDEX, will only need to remove
caveData in their home directory and restart CAVE.

EDEX users will just have to run a script and restart EDEX:

   1.

   Download zip file to your EDEX server using this link:

   https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/awips2/GFS_Updates-18.1.1-20200717.zip
   OR
   wget
   https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/awips2/GFS_Updates-18.1.1-20200717.zip
   2.

   Unzip downloaded file

unzip GFS_Updates-18.1.1-20200717.zip

   1.

   Run the updatGFS.pl file

perl updateGFS.pl

   1.

   Stop EDEX

edex stop

   1.

   Start EDEX

edex start

Please see the blog post for more detailed information:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/awips-updates-new-gfs-fv3

For AWIPS support contact: support-awips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--

Tiffany Meyer