Re: [awips2-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: EDEX to CAVE latency with multiple simultaneous users

Jason,

We experienced an issue similar to what you're describing and for us the
culprit was insufficient disk I/O on the EDEX server, even with an array of
eight 10K RPM 12G SAS hard disks.

When a class started launching CAVE and loading data not only would their
clients slow down (even menus would take time to populate), but we also saw
data processing latency on EDEX start climbing until the class was done loading
their initial data sets.  In a few cases the EDEX server could not catch up
with processing and we had to stop the LDM and give EDEX a chance to clear the
backlog.

Monitoring with top we saw IO-waits typically between 5% and 10%, with
instances as high as 20%

It's worth noting we originally had possibly the most inefficient disk set up
imaginable: EDEX was running on a VM and virtual storage, so the hypervisor was
dealing with two layers of file systems on a RAID 5 array.  That was a lot of
extra work...

We replaced the hard disk array with a PCIe RAID card with two NVMe SSDs,
directly attached the SSD array to the VM, and the difference was MIND BLOWING.
 IO-wait stays below 1% and data processing latency messages have disappeared
entirely, even when a class of 30 students are using CAVE.  We even saw CPU
usage drop significantly, probably because very little time is being wasted
waiting for read/write ops now.

Robert Haley
Weather Systems Administrator
Applied Aviation Sciences, College of Aviation
600. S. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
386.323.8033
haley787@xxxxxxxx