This report updates the status of Unidata's IDV development efforts
since the last
In the Unidata 2013 proposal
, IDV development was defined
under the proposed thematic area 3, "Developing and deploying useful
tools". The following goals were outlined in this area:
- Ability to access and visualize every data stream provided by Unidata.
- Support for analysis and visualization of ensemble model output
(e.g., probabilistic threat and multivariate probabilities, mean-spread
analysis, spaghetti diagrams, and aggregated remote access to large
- Improved handling of sub-minute data (lightning and model) as well
as long range climate data.
- Support for field project operations and datasets.
- Adaptation to GIS frameworks and integration of GIS data.
- Enhancements to the IDV framework and plug-in capabilities for
a range of customized applications (e.g., lightweight IDV for use in
The numbers are not in order of priority, but are used to indicate steps
toward that goal in this report.
Progress since last report:
Development is underway for the next release of
the IDV (3.1) which should be released in a few months.
Several of these features are already available for testing in the IDV nightly and test release.
- Time matching feature to allow users to use times of one display to control displays of other datasets.
- Additional ensemble functions: multivariate ensemble probabilities.
- Support for CF Radial NetCDF datasets. (Goal 1)
- Support for GEMPAK surface and upper air data. (Goal 1)
- Axis scale and labeling interface. (Goal 1)
- Adde chooser satellite image preview feature. (Goal 1)
Ongoing efforts include:
- Integrate the McIDAS-V's modification of the image chooser into the IDV.
- Remote data access through NetCDF remote protocol. (Goal 1)
- Improved geospatial handling to allow data selection based on existing displayed data. (Goal 3)
- Continued labeling and color bar improvement work with SSEC.
- Working with CDM/TDS groups on improving access and display of COSMIC data. (Goal 1)
- Collaborating in the development of
- Keeping up with new Java interfaces and developments.
- Continue to provide support to the IDV community.
- Various IDV bug fixes and enhancements.
IDV usage count
Top ten known sites are University of Wisconsin (Mc-V), China, Millersville University, University of Oklahoma, University of Twente, Mexico, NCAR/RAL, EUMETSAT, Plymouth State university and Lyndon State university.
Metrics data: April 1 2011 to September 31 2011
**When the IDV starts up interactively (i.e. not in script mode),
it accesses some resource files (e.g. Favorite Bundles list) from the
Unidata web server. The standard web server logs are used to generate
information on what sites are running the IDV.