Unidata AWIPS 17.1.1 is now available for Red Hat/CentOS 6/7 and macOS. Please see the AWIPS User Manual for installation instructions: http://unidata.github.io/awips2/
This is a major release with the following notable updates:
- Support for GOES-16(R) ingest and display of provisional ABI imagery via the NOTHER feed (1km CONUS, PR, Mesoscale sectors, 6km Full Disk). For this a new GOES East Full Disk map scale has been added to D2D http://unidata.github.io/awips2/cave/goes-16-satellite/
- Support for GOES-16(R) GLM (Geostationary Lightning Mapper) data as it begins to come online - glm data are not currently being ingested but will be added to edex-cloud as Unidata begins to test distribution feeds internally. http://unidata.github.io/awips2/cave/goes-16-satellite/#goes-lightning-mapper-glm
- WarnGen and TextWS have been refactored to work for any and all WFO sites, with CWA geometries pre-generated in the build. I've made available a document and screencast walkthrough for using WarnGen to create (but not send) warning products: http://unidata.github.io/awips2/cave/warngen/
- The NSHARP plugin is now written entirely in Java, no longer dependent on legacy NAWIPS/GEMPAK libraries.
- The macOS CAVE client includes a dependency for Jep (Java-embedded Python) in order to display derived parameters such as wind barbs and grid parameters on various vertical coordinates. See more: http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#macos
- The Manual Ingest Endpoint has been moved from /awips2/edex/data/hdf5/manual to /awips2/data_store/ingest to allow for manual file ingest on an nfs-mounted raw data store.
- LDM pattern actions added for TPCWindProb, RTOFS, Sea Ice, CFS-DNG, NAEFS.
- 3-way right-click toggle in CAVE to cycle the resource stack through displaying Products, Maps, and Current Time.
- Java 1.8 update, Python 2.7.11 update.
Migrating from 16.2.2 to 17.1.1:
- It's recommended you remove 16.2.2 EDEX and CAVE before installing 17.1.1, rather than upgrading with yum (e.g. yum groupremove awips2-server -y && yum clean all && ./installEDEX.sh)
- edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu was updated to 17.1.1 on Friday July 7 and all user-level localization files were copied and restored after the update. I've also added some access protection
- The macOS client is now delivered as a single .app bundle and is developer-signed by UCAR, meaning you should be able to download, install, and open without any warning or error about its origin (gatekeeper in 10.12 Sierra).
- The awips-python-jep.pkg installer for macOS will warn you about its origin. You can right-click select Open on a Mac in order to install (CAVE will run without this package but any derived parameters require it).
- GOES-16(R) RGB composites are not supported on macOS due to OpenGL Shading Language limitations.
- SVG-based plot models (METAR station plot) will not render correctly with jogamp 2 on Mac.
- I have been unable to successfully build 17.1.1 CAVE for Windows and can not promise a new Windows client any time soon.
- See the AWIPS User Manual for download links and installation instructions http://unidata.github.io/awips2/
- Send support requests to Unidata developers at email@example.com
- Or submit a Github Issue at https://github.com/Unidata/awips2/issues