CAVE 16.1.5 requires a full uninstall of previous versions (14.4 or 15.1), which is handled fully by the shell script installCAVE.sh. No client files will be overwritten since user bundles, colormaps, and other configuration files are located in ~/caveData/.
To install CAVE for Linux, download and run installCAVE.sh
To install EDEX for Linux, download and run installEDEX.sh
What's New in 16.1.5
- Switching the localization site in CAVE Preferences now updates the side-view maps to the new WFO area of responsibility.
- New general "awips2-localization" RPM obsoletes site-specific "awips2-localization-OAX" with support for all WFOs.
- Simply running "cave" will launch the program, running the full path name /awips2/cave/cave.sh is no longer required.
- Full support for UNIWISC McIDAS AREA files, including new support for
- 20km Global Rectilinear IR and WV
- 30km Global Mollweide IR and WV
- Support for HIMAWARI-8 McIDAS AREA files
- Fix for GINI projection error in decoding of Supernational composites
- New colormap defaults for IR and WV imagery; GEMPAK colormaps also have been added
- New default map projections include Global Mercator, Global Mollweide, and Regional displays for Alaska, Africa, Antarctica, Aus/NZ, Europe, Hawaii, Japan, Pacific Ocean, Puerto Rico, and South America.
- Various bug fixes for the GFE Perspective
- New package "awips2-python-gfe" makes available various Python functions used by GFE which were previously absent.
- Hold-right-click menu on product stack now includes Interpolation toggle.
- Default display of FNEXRAD composites using data interpolation and decreased tiling for clearer data display.
- Two-pane toggle added to D2D right-click menu (along with existing 4-pane toggle)
- Two-pane displays are now oriented side-by-side rather than above-and-below.
- Reconfigured D2D NSHARP plugin to display selectable stations (NCP-style).
- Reconfigured image export with default timestamp in file name to prevent overwriting. Files are now exported to /awips2/export/<USER>/
- GFS20 replacing GFS40 in the Models menu
- New METAR precip total plugin colorizes rainfall amounts
- Metar surface winds bundle added to Surface menu
- Reorganization of Surface WATCH/WARN bundles, loadable as TStorm/Tornado, Flood, Marine, Extreme Wines, and "all". Bundle polygon contrast has been increased as well.
- Redbook graphics bundles displayed with higher contour contrast
- Complete regional imagery Satellite sub-menu with full product set for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Arctic composites.
- New Satellite sub-menus for NOAAport GINI products (GOES East, GOES West, GOES E/W 10 km Composite, 24 km National Composite, 24 km NH Composite, Sounder Imagery)
- NPP VIIRS Near Constant Contrast bundle composites all available areas for product display.
- ESRL/GSD experimental 3 km HRRR now supported (HRRRX), ingesting on edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu (though still missing some parameters)
- Removed reporting of internal connections in httpd logs (responsible for ~90% of file size and unimportant). Enabled logging of DNS-resolved hostname, if available, for CAVE and python-awips. It's now easier for EDEX administrators to monitor who is connected to their server and how much data is being transferred by looking at log files in /awips2/httpd-pypies/var/log/httpd/.
- Default purge rule for satellite products preserves 96 frames (12 day archive) for Global IR/WV composites, and 288 frames (24 hours) for FNEXRAD images.
- GFE server support available for all WFOs, not just OAX (requires a change to setup.env and edex_camel restart - this does not mean support for all server sites simultaneously).
- Binlightning, nctaf, and nctext decoders re-enabled.
- Removed all metar/synop-to-Shef processing due to performance problems.
- CAVE operates strictly in practice mode, preventing WarnGen products from being pushed to the connected EDEX server.