NOAA is looking for an Physical Scientist to work at the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), Climate Prediction Center (CPC) in College Park, MD. CPC delivers real-time products and information that predict and describe climate variations on timescales from weeks to years thereby promoting effective management of climate risk and a climate-resilient society.
The person hired for the Physical Scientist position will:
- Lead and participate in significant joint research projects and developmental efforts targeted toward improving existing and developing new operational products.
- Conduct studies and identify and formulate hypotheses for specific problems associated with CPC operational products.
- Evaluate the technical and scientific adequacy of relevant operational products and services by conducting product verification efforts targeted to improving the scientific basis of CPC products.
- Perform analyses with the goal of improved understanding of relevant climate phenomena, prediction products and improved quality of monitoring products.
- Publish the development and transition work in scientific journals to document improvements to products and services.
The application process is open through December 11, 2017.
Full details, including instructions regarding how to apply, are available at the links below. Note that there are two announcements for this position; applicants are allowed to submit applications in both venues.