Welcome back to AWIPS Tips!
Today we are going to look at how to load two separate image products on the same layer. This is called “Image Combination.”
This capability is most commonly used when looking at radar data for individual sites. In fact, this is the default functionality built into the bundles loaded from the menus. For example, you can load the top option from a site radar menu:
This will load an image combination of 0.5 degree Reflectivity and SRM. You can tell Image Combination is enabled because the two image products are listed on the same layer in the legend, with a “+” symbol between the two products.
By default here, both products are loaded at full brightness and alpha, which isn’t all that helpful.
However by using the number pad on the keyboard you can toggle between the two images:
- Using the period key (“.”) on the keypad on the right hand side of the keyboard
- Use the “+” and “-” keys on the keypad on the right hand side of the keyboard
- Left-click on the product name in the Product Legend to toggle on and off
You also have the option to manually load two image products and create your own image combination, by enabling Image Combination from the Options Menu. When the checkbox is selected, it is enabled.
Below shows an example of loading two product images:
- Enable Image Combination from the Options menu
- Open a new editor
- Load a satellite image product (ex. Satellite → GOES-East CONUS → Channel 2)
- Load MRMS Composite Reflectivity (MRMS → Reflectivity Products → Composite Reflectivity)
Check back in two weeks for the next blog post.
To view archived blogs, visit the AWIPS Tips blog tag, and get notified of the latest updates from the AWIPS team by signing up for the AWIPS mailing list. Questions or suggestions for the team on future topics? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org