Unidata AWIPS 17.1.1-5 is now available for Red Hat/CentOS 6/7 and macOS. Unidata AWIPS is a meteorological display and analysis package originally developed by the National Weather Service and Raytheon, repackaged by Unidata to support non-operational use in research and education.
This is a major release with the following updates:
- GOES East (16/R) updates for operational mode, new geostationary position, ingest of stitched CONUS and Full Disk netCDF files, menu updates for Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM), and Derived Motion Winds (DMW).
- EDEX no longer installs awips2-python-setuptools, which was not required for the software to run, and in some cases would prevent virtual machines from booting due to Python version conflicts.
- el6 and el7 RPMs are built inside awips-ade Docker containers (https://hub.docker.com/r/unidata/awips-ade/tags/)
- New set of colormaps ported from Matplotlib
- Native decoding of PNG-compressed AREA and GINI imagery (FNEXRAD and UNIWISC)
- Removed IFPS server send dialogs from GFE perspective.
- Support for NationalBlend, HIRLAM, more complete HRRRX parameters
- Distributed computing support for ingest nodes writing data to a remote database/request instance (read more at http://unidata.github.io/awips2/edex/distributed-computing/)
- yum groupinstall awips2-ingest (does not install postgresql, PyPIES/hdf5, database RPMs)
- yum groupinstall awips2-database (does not install LDM, ingest, ingestGrib)
- Corresponding edex start options:
- edex start ingest
- edex start database
- Fix for long request times to fill colormap editor right-click menu, which now displays only your own USER-level localization colormap edits
- Removed NCEP EDEX data decoders (rpm awips2-edex-ncep) from build and install (this does not affect the common/viz plugins or the NCP)
- Significant build reorganization for continuous integration on el6 and el7, including documenting and organization all package dependencies.
- Menu and bundle updates for WPC QPF/QPE grids
- qpid message broker update from 0.32->6.1.4
RPMs consolidated into the existing awips2-edex-dataplugins package (rather than installing awips2-edex-binlightning, awips2-edex-bufr, awips2-edex-grid, etc.)
- Removed bundled netCDF packages to avoid conflict with epel repositories.
- Removal of unused AWIPS1, Hydro, RadarServer components
- awips2-httpd-pypies update to 2.4.23
- postgresql/psql update to 9.5.8
- matplotlib update to 1.5.3
- numpy update to 1.9.3
- cython update to 0.27.2
- shapely update to 1.6.2
- python-qpid update to 1.36.0
- dateutil update to 2.6.1
- python-scientific update to 2.8.1
- python-tables update to 3.4.2
- Removed unused python modules (nose, scipy, pupynere, pwm)
- The script qpidNotify.py has been added to
/awips2/edex/binand is available in $PATH for non-root users on an AWIPS server.
- The EDEX service manager application (command 'edex') has been moved from
/awips2/edex/bin(should be present with updated
/etc/profile.d/awips2.shfrom packages awips2)
- AWIPS Development Environment (ADE) Docker images have been published for CentOS 6 and 7 systems: https://hub.docker.com/r/unidata/awips-ade/tags/
- CAVE installation instructions
- EDEX installation instructions
- Distributed EDEX installation instructions
To completely remove and reinstall EDEX:
edex stop yum groupremove awips2-server yum clean all yum groupinstall awips2-server edex start