In this week’s AWIPS Tips, we’re announcing a new eLearning course, Learn Python-AWIPS. This is an asynchronous web course that can be accessed on demand at Unidata eLearning. All of our educational resources are also available on our website.
Learn Python-AWIPS is designed for new users of Python-AWIPS who have some background in both Python and CAVE. Through tutorials, challenges, and demonstrations, you will learn the basics for working with EDEX resources through Python.
The activities are designed with undergraduate meteorology students in mind, but are suitable for any post-secondary education level.
Topics covered in this course:
- Programmatically explore the resources available on an EDEX server
- Make a request to an EDEX for data
- See examples of data manipulation
- Plot requested data
Minimum setup requirements:
- A supported web browser
- Pre-requisite software
- Python-AWIPS using the Source Code with Examples Install instructions. Note that this requires git on your machine.
NOTE: Creating the environment can take up to 15 minutes to fully download and install all packages.
How to access the course:
Learn Python-AWIPS is available on Unidata eLearning. To enroll in the course:
- Log in or create a new account on Unidata eLearning.
- On the Unidata eLearning home page, under Available Courses, select Learn Python-AWIPS.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Enroll Me.
As mentioned earlier, the link to this course and all other educational resources can be accessed from the AWIPS Educational Resources page. For feedback and support on the course, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoy it! Check back in two weeks for the next blog post, where we'll learn about the different types of products in CAVE.
To view archived blogs, visit the AWIPS Tips blog tag, and get notified of the latest updates from the AWIPS team by signing up for the AWIPS mailing list. Questions or suggestions for the team on future topics? Let us know at email@example.com