[netCDF #QFU-713303]: ImportError: No module named NetCDF

Hi,

> I have installed netcdf-3.6.2 on Ubuntu 10.04, when I run the python
> code then it gives me following error
>
> from NetCDF import *
> ImportError: No module named NetCDF
>
> Although I added header in python code as follows,
>
> import Scientific.IO.NetCDF
>
> from Numeric import *
> from NetCDF import *
>
> But code not recognizing netcdf. Please tell me what should I do in
> order to remove this error.

Unidata doesn't distribute a Python API with it's netCDF software.  So
installing the netCDF library
will not also install a Python netCDF library.  You will have to obtain and
install the Python library
separately, after installing the netCDF library.

There are actually several different Python packages for accessing netCDF data:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html#Python

It looks like you are attempting to use the one from Konrad Hinsen in his
Scientific Python package:

  http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/plone/software/scientificpython/

If you have continued problems installing that package by following the
installation instructions on
the above site, you might try one of the other netCDF packages for Python
available for Ubuntu, for
example one of the packages listed here:

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python-netcdf

--Russ

Ticket ID: QFU-713303
Department: Support netCDF