[netCDF #AGL-958284]: possible bugs with dim sizes exceeding 2^31

Hi Dave,

> I have found what I think are some bugs relating to large dimension sizes for
> 64-bit offset NetCDF3 files.
>
> 1) The old ncdiminq function returns wrong values for dimensions larger than
> 2^31.  This is a minor difficulty that was solved by switching to nc_inq_dim.
>
> 2) Although the FAQ question 'Have all netCDF size limits been eliminated?'
> says:
>
> The maximum number of records remains 2^32-1
>
> I am finding that, using nc_put_vara, or the old ncvarputg, records cannot be
> added if  startp[0] is greater than 2^31.  I have a test PyNIO code that
> creates a simple byte type single dimensioned variable. If the dimension is
> fixed size I can write a variable that exceeds 2^31 (2,500,000,000 bytes is
> my arbitrary test size). Writing 1,000,000 records per invocation of
> nc_put_vara, the script succeeds until *startp becomes 2148000000.  So
> records above 2^31 are possible, but once *startp exceeds 2^31 I get the
> error return "Index exceeds dimension bound", which does not make sense,
> because it has been doing the same operation repeatedly (and successfully) in
> a loop up to this point.
>
> This is using NetCDF 4.1.3, compiled with full NetCDF4 support.

That sounds pretty serious.  Are the bugs you're noticing in programs that
worked with previous versions of
netCDF, for example 4.1.2 or 4.1.1, or are you noticing the bugs in 4.1.3 with
new code that you haven't
tried with previous versions?

I'll try to construct a test to demonstrate the problems from your description,
unless you already have a small
test that you can provide so we can reproduce the bugs here.

--Russ

Ticket ID: AGL-958284
Department: Support netCDF