[netCDF #NVW-822231]: Invalid argument error for large data set

> Hi,
>
> I am writing model ouptut to a nc file.  The program keeps crashing
> after some time.  When I check the size of .nc file, it is beyond 2
> GB.
>
> I did websearch on NETCDF error and found in the user group that this
> error occurs when you the nc file exceeds 2GB. I am using Compaq
> visual fortran. I am wondering if this problem could be solved using
> proper compilation settings.
>
> Please comment on this and provide any solution to the problem.
>
> Thanks
> Venkat S. Kolluru
> Technical Director
> Surfacewater Modeling Group
> Environmental Resource Management, Inc.
> 350 Eagleview Boulevard, Suite 200
> Exton, PA 19341-1180
> Tel: 610.524.3650
> Fax: 610.524.3566
> address@hidden

Howdy Venkat,

I think your computer is not set up to support large files. See this FAQ, and
run the test it suggests on your disks:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support12

It could also be that you are exceeding the limitations of the netCDF classic
format. If so, you would get an error code from the library:

#define NC_EVARSIZE     (-62)   /* One or more variable sizes violate
                                   format constraints */

If this is happening, you might try reading the Large Files section of the FAQ:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: NVW-822231