[netCDF #WPI-301745]: Error constructing NcFile object in NetCDF 4.0.1 C++ interface

> When attempting to create a ReadOnly NcFile object using the 4.0.1 C++
> API, an NcException with the following text is thrown: ncfile.cpp:114
> from method NcFile Error opening file
> Though sometimes a line number of 43 is indicated.
> The exact line I'm using is "NcFile ncFile("testncdf4-2.nc",
> NcFile::ReadOnly);"
>
> I have tried opening files created both with ncgen4 and using the same
> NcFile class to create the file first (which works), but neither way has
> allowed me to read the file. I've made sure to change the permissions to
> allow complete access to the file in question. I can successfully view
> the contents of either file listed above using ncdump.
>
> I am running 64-bit RHEL 5, and have built with HDF5 and NetCDF4 enabled.
>
> I understand that the NetCDF4 C++ is still experimental, but this
> strikes me as the kind of problem someone else may have encountered.

Howdy Alexander!

I believe you are using the C++ API in the cxx4 directory, which, I regret to
say, is about to be discontinued, and replaced with a new cxx4 API, much more
capable and complete.

I am currently scrambling to get out the netcdf 4.1 release. Shortly after it
is out, we hope to have the new cxx4 API integrated into the netCDF daily
snapshot distribution, and available for use.

The original C++ API (in the cxx directory) will continue to be part of the
netCDF release, but not the experimental C++ API (in the cxx4 directory).

I will see if we can get an early copy of the new cxx4 api out on our web site,
so that you (and other C++ users) can start to work with it. It will be
announced on the netCDF mailing list.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: WPI-301745