[netCDF #BAW-622715]: INSTALLATION HELP

> Thanks for reply. my machine is solaris cluster, and o.s. is linux. machine
> is for distributed memory.
> In WRF model i want to use, dmpar option, I hope in that one i need mpi
> library.
> so i have installed it but in netcdf installation it show not linked error as
> i have told you already.
> what should i do?

The not linked error for MPI was not in the netCDF installation, it was in your
attempt to
install HDF5-1.8.1:

  configure:47643: error: unable to link a simple MPI-IO application

You can ask the HDF5 help desk why the error occurred if you still want an HDF5
installation,
but the error has nothing to do with netCDF.  I suspect it is a problem with
specifying the
LD_FLAGS using syntax like "-L/library1:/library2:/library3" instead of
"-L/library1 -L/library2 -L/library3", which most compilers/linkers expect.

As I said in my previous response, you do not need to install HDF5-1.8.1 before
installing
netCDF-3, so you can ignore the above error.

The netCDF installation output you sent in the file Make.doc showed that
everything worked
with the netCDF installation until testing the C++ interface.  You do not need
the netCDF
C++ interface for WRF, so you can ignore this also. If you want a clean compile
and build
for netCDF-3, just set the environment variable CXX to '' before configuring,
as in
  export CXX=''
  make distclean
  ./configure
  make check
  make install
with whatever other environment variables you needed and whatever configure
arguments you
decided to use.  But do not use the configure argument "--enable-netcdf-4",
because you
do not need netCDF-4 (or HDF5) for WRF at this time.

If you want the C++ netCDF-3 interface installed, even though it is not needed
for WRF,
you will have to get the C++ settings right for the Intel C++ compiler.  I
suspect your
library flags is using the wrong syntax, with ":" character separating library
directories,
but I don't know whether Intel compilers support that syntax.

--Russ

Ticket ID: BAW-622715
Department: Support netCDF