[netCDF #AJI-287433]: support for Mac OS X

Hi John,

Our problem with providing binaries for Mac OS X is mainly due to
the lack of a single widely used Fortran compiler for Mac users,
since no Fortran compiler comes with Mac OS X.  We don't
currently have access to the Absoft compilers on Macs, due to
expense.

However, the instructions for building on a Mac are basically the
same as for any other Unix system, and we test netCDF on the latest
version of Mac OS X.  For example, here's the complete output from
successful builds from source on a Mac OS X 10.5.6 system using
g95 for Fortran of the latest release, netCDF 4.0.1:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/4_0_1/out_mort_2009033010_0_0.txt
  (default netCDF-3 build)

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/4_0_1/out_mort_2009033010_0_1.txt
  (netCDF-4, using --enable-netcdf-4)

The above was built with no special environment variable settings,
except FC=g95, and just used the standard build from source
sequence of

  ./configure
  make check
  sudo make install

If you want the netCDF-4 enhanced data model and features, you have
to first build and install HDF5 and run

  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=/location/of/hdf5
  make check
  sudo make install

I actually have a Mac laptop on my desk that I use as a second
computer to my Solaris x86 development machine, so I'm all in
favor of netCDF on Apple platforms!

--Russ

Ticket ID: AJI-287433
Department: Support netCDF