[netCDF #JZT-264094]: netcdf problem

Hi David,

The assertion failure you are seeing means that an internal function,
ncio_spx_get() in libsrc/posixio.c, is being called to read data from
disk, but it's being asked to read 0 bytes.  This should never happen,
so it probably indicates some sort of completely unrelated problem, such
as:

  - a bug in the calling program or in the netCDF library that is
    overwriting the call stack or a memory location outside of its
    scope
  - an intermittent memory error
  - some other hardware or software problem

We have never had another report of this assertion failing, so it seems
unlikely that it is a netCDF library bug.  However, I won't rule out
that possibility, but unless we can reproduce the problem here, we can't
diagnose it or fix it.  That's why we would need a small program that
demonstrates the bug.

Nevertheless, here are a few questions that might help narrow it down:

  - Have you run "make check" on the source distribution used when your
    netCDF library was installed, and did it report any problems?

  - What version of netCDF are you linking against?

  - What platform (computer and operating system) are you using?

  - Do you run other programs on this platform that occasionally fail in
    mysterious ways :-) ?  If so, have you run memory test software?

It might also help to look at the posixio.c file in libsrc and use a
debugger to see what parameters ncio_spx_get() is being called with
when the assertion violation occurs.  That function is only explicitly
called in one place, but it may be called elsewhere through a function
pointer and using a debugger on the core file resulting from the
assertion violation might reveal a way we don't know about that the
function could be called with 0 for the extent.

--Russ

Ticket ID: JZT-264094
Department: Support netCDF