[netCDF #EDP-282307]: installation of netcdf4 not working?

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install netcdf-4.0.
>
> I have installed zlib-1.2.3 and hdf5-1.8.2 as instructed, into the same
> directory, running make check and getting no errors.
> Initially hdf5 would not install, failing at dt_arith conversion test (I
> got round this with #3 here
> <http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/release/known_problems5.html>).
>
> When i run make check, netcdf appears to pass everything, and installs
> correctly. But when I issue any commands (eg. ncdump --version) they are
> not recognised?
>
> Am I missing something incredibly simple?!
>
> Ultimately I am trying to run WRF, and during the compile stage it fails
> stating
>
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5T_IEEE_F32LE_g'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5Dcreate1'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5Oget_info_by_idx'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5Gget_objinfo'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5Sselect_hyperslab'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5T_NATIVE_INT_g'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5Gclose'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5T_STD_I16LE_g'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to
> `H5Awrite'
> /usr/local/test/lib/libnetcdf.so: undefined reference to `H5Gmove'
>
> Along with lots of other 'H5xxxx' .

Howdy Richard!

Can I guess that you built netcdf with --enable-shared?

If true, try setting environment variable (assuming you are on Linux)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory that holds the HDF5 library. Like this (in
bash):
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/test/lib (if that is where you installed
HDF5).

Then try again.

If this does not solve this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: EDP-282307
Department: Support netCDF