[netCDF #XXT-557209]: problem when building/testing shared libraries

> Hi,
> I am trying to build the netCDF 4.0 on our IBM AIX 5.3 platforms with IBM
compilers (xlc vac 8.0, xlf and xlf90 XLF 10.1).
> Our objective is to build shared libraries: therefore I added --enable-shared
when running the configure.
> The libraries are all created (gmake does not report any problems) but gmake
check fails on all Fortran  and C++ tests. Tests all compile and link without
any errors but they all fail at runtime with a segmentation fault (coredump).
> The C tests work fine so it seems that the problem only occur with Fortran
and C++ i.e. when mixing languages.
> Have you ever tried to build shared netCDF libraries on IBM AIX 5.3 platforms
(with IBM compilers)? Do I need to turn on some specific options to make it
run?
> Note that when disabling shared libraries, the install works fine (and all
the tests too) but we really would like to build and use the shared libraries.
> Thanks,
> Anne Fouilloux.

Unfortunately also cannot get my AIX compiler shared build to work, as you can
see here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/4_0/zasu_AIX_netcdf-4.0_shared_2008-06-29-13-42.txt

Mine does not even work for C, but this is a very old and out of data AIX, so
you probably have better compiler versions.

My confusion on this issue is documented here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html#AIX_shared

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. If you get this fixed, please let me know so
that other users can benefit.

Thanks

Ed

Ticket ID: XXT-557209