[netCDF #XQV-656680]: make check one test failed

Jason,

Thanks, that output was exactly what is expected, so it is the test that is
faulty.
In netCDF 3.6.2, the file size test was somewhat brittle, since it depended on
the
output of "ls -l":

  echo "*** testing length of classic file"
  ../ncgen/ncgen -b ${srcdir}/small.cdl
  test `ls -l small.nc | awk '{print $5}'` = 68;

but that doesn't always work if "ls" is aliased to something else (such as
"/bin/ls -o"),
so the test was changed to only depend on the output from "wc -c" instead:

  echo "*** testing length of classic file"
  ../ncgen/ncgen -b ${srcdir}/small.cdl
  if test `wc -c < small.nc` != 68; then
      exit 1
  fi

I had forgotten the 3.6.2 release used ls and awk, but the current snapshot
uses the
more robust wc test.  I've attached the current version of the tst_lengths.sh
script.  If
you replace ncdump/tst_lengths.sh with the attached version and make sure it's
executable, "make check" should now work fine in the ncdump directory.  If it
still
doesn't work, at your convenience we'd like to see a trace of running it using

  sh -x tst_lengths.sh

Thanks.

--Russ

Ticket ID: XQV-656680