[Support #DPQ-378783]: Re: netcdf & fortran

> Hi John,
>
> I'm not an expert on the Fortran or C interface, and your questions
> would be better answered by asking the Unidata folks directly.  The
> support address for netCDF questions is
> address@hidden, and I've CC'ed that address here.
>
> They have a bunch of email addresses set up, which you can review at:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/topics.jsp
>
> Good luck,
>
> --Mary
>
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, John Hubbert wrote:
>
> > Mary;
> >
> > I've been reading over the documentation on the unidata website, in
> > particular
> > the fortran 90 examples.
> >
> > In each example code the variables are of equal dimension. For the
> > data I would like to read there are one dimensional and 2 dimensional
> > arrays. In the examples codes they setup the variables  as follows:
> >
> > ! We are reading 2D data, a 6 x 12 lat-lon grid.
> > integer, parameter :: NDIMS = 2
> > integer, parameter :: NLATS = 6, NLONS = 12
> > character (len = *), parameter :: LAT_NAME = "latitude"
> > character (len = *), parameter :: LON_NAME = "longitude"
> > integer :: lat_dimid, lon_dimid
> >
> > ! We will read surface temperature and pressure fields.
> > character (len = *), parameter :: PRES_NAME = "pressure"
> > character (len = *), parameter :: TEMP_NAME = "temperature"
> > integer :: pres_varid, temp_varid
> > integer :: dimids(NDIMS)
> >

> > So, I will need to use a NDIMS1= 1and a NDIMS2=2? How will
> > having variables of different dimension alter the query calls?
> > The first dimension length of NDIMS2 is the same as NDIM1 if
> > that makes any difference.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John

Howdy John!

Yes, you have it right. You don't have to use the same dimensions for every
variable.

When doing a get of the variable, it is up to you to use the right start and
count arrays, and to have enough space allocated to hold the data you are
asking for.

Does this answer your questions?

Thanks!

Ed