[netCDF #UIK-833360]: NetCDF 4 test failure with HDF5 1.8.0 beta 3

> Hi
>
> Today I tried building the latest snapshot of netCDF 4
> (netcdf-4.0-snapshot2007080601) and linking it with hdf5-1.8.0-beta3.
> This was done under Cygwin. I have previously built recent snapshots and
> linked them with hdf5-1.8.0-beta2 with no problems
>
> Commands were:
>
> CC=gcc ./configure --disable-f77 --enable-netcdf-4
> --with-hdf5=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf4
> make
> make check
>
> One failure was reported by "make check":
>
> *** Testing small files.
> Switching to netCDF-4 format (with NC_CLASSIC_MODEL).
> *** testing simple small file with a global attribute...ok.
> *** testing simple small file with fixed dimensions...ok.
> *** testing simple small file with an unlimited dimension...ok.
> *** testing small file with one variable...ok.
> *** testing small file with one variable and one att...ok.
> *** testing small file with one record variable, which grows...ok.
> /bin/sh: line 4:  5592 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${dir}$tst
> FAIL: tst_small
>
> I just thought you might like to know.
>
> --
> Mark Hadfield          "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
> address@hidden
> National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)

Howdy Mark!

Thanks for checking this!

There are various small issues that have come out in the HDF5 beta release
(some because of bug *you* reported ;-). These are being worked out by the HDF5
team, and meanwhile more tests have been added to netCDF-4 to be more ticklish
to bugs in this area.

If you get the current netCDF-4 snapshot and build it, you will see that this
test is now skipped. The HDF5 programmer is working on this now. Get the
snapshot at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/index_4.html

If you provide the --enable-extra-tests option to configure you will see this
test again, and it will fail. When future versions of HDF5-1.8.0 come along
which fix this bug, this test will be moved back with the rest, and out of the
"extra-tests" category.

Thanks again!

Ed

Ticket ID: UIK-833360