[netCDF #AFH-985814]: netcdf configure script fails to allow -Bstatic functionality with local NCAR pgi compilers

> Howdy,
>
> During a recent build attempt of software that uses the netcdf
> static libraries, we found that we were unable to build the software
> using the -Bstatic flag.  Further investigation seems to point to the
> configure script of the netcdf software finding false positive
> detections of errors when using the -Bstatic flag in the compile step.
> It appears that standard license manager output (like that seen below)
> is being dumped into the test file std err files (conftest.err) and is
> disallowing the use of the -Bstatic flag in the building/linking of the
> netcdf software.
>
> ------------- License Manager Std out -----------------------
> pgf90 6.2-5 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux
> Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright 2000-2006, STMicroelectronics, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> yes
> checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"...
> pgcc 6.2-5 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux
> Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright 2000-2006, STMicroelectronics, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>
> We bypassed this false positive occurrence by forcibly setting the
> static flag variable in the configure file for each of the compilers:

Howdy Carter.

I don't think the compiler output with the copyright is causing any problems.
Lots of compilers do that (but it is annoying to look at!)

Have you tried building without the static flag set?

Have you tried setting FCFLAGS and F77FLAGS to -Bstatic?

Unfortunately our test machine with the portland group compiler has suffered a
tragic fate, and is no longer around. I have asked our sysadmin to restore the
portland group compilers on one of my test machines, and then I can try the
-Bstatic option myself.

Ed

Ticket ID: AFH-985814
Department: Support netCDF