[netCDF #VVS-754933]: Another netcdf question in cygwin

> Ed,
>
> I don't see the snapshot build for cygwin yet.  My earlier successful
> build in lap-top was in g77 and not g95.
>
> Which compiler do you think works best under cygwin for netcdf.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sankar

Howdy Sankar!

Just get the source distribution from the snapshot page and build it on cygwin.

As to which compiler works best - I don't think there's a difference. In my
experience, porting netCDF, if you get a fortran compiler working on one
platform, you get it working on others as well. Both gfortran (which comes with
gcc 4.x), or g95 work with netCDF on other platforms, so I would expect either
to work fine with cygwin.

Last time I looked the cygwin installer still did not carry a f90 compiler, so
I guess if you want f90 you must build (or get binaries for) g95 or gfortran.
(Tell me how this goes for you because I must do the same thing).

I am attempting to add cygwin builds to the daily snapshots, but windows, as
always, is a world unto itself, and the windows systems on our network do not
support the testing which is easy on the Unix machines. However I am
hand-crafting a solution for that testing problem, and hope to have cygwin in
the nightly test soon.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: VVS-754933