[Support #CDV-696422]: NetCDF Conventions

Hi Eric,

The first thing I would recommend is the document "Writing NetCDF Files: Best
Practices" at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/BestPractices.html

It gives some general guidelines for developing new netCDF file conventions.
The most fully developed netCDF conventions so far are the CF 1.0 conventions
for climate and forecast data, and some of their recommendations might also be
useful for the kind of data you are writing.  However, the CF conventions
document doesn't have explicit recommendations for time-series.

Another netCDF conventions document that does recommend time series conventions
is "NCAR-RAF Conventions for Aircraft Data":

 http://www.eol.ucar.edu/raf/Software/netCDF.html

Here are some general guidelines for observational data in a web page John
Caron wrote:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/UnidataObsConvention.html

Let us know if you have more specific questions.  We will be slow to respond
next week (spring break) but should be back online late in the week.

--Russ

Ticket ID: CDV-696422
Department: Support netCDF