[netCDF #ISL-204287]: problem installing netcdf with pgi compiler

> Hi Russ,
> I'm sorry, I forgot to attach the config.log!
>
> I've tried ./configure with the environment vars You proposed, unsetting F77
> and setting  FC=pgf77, but I still get the same error:
> error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o
>
> Now I attach the config.log, I hope You can help me!
> Thanks a lot!
> Lloren�

In your config.log I see:

configure:5849: pgf77 -c  conftest.f
configure:5852: $? = 0
configure:5854: result: yes
configure:5880: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
configure:5890: gcc -c  -DpgiFortran -g -O2 conftest.c
conftest.c: In function 'sub_':
conftest.c:4: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
'exit'
configure:5893: $? = 0
configure:5896: pgf77  -c conftestf.f
configure:5899: $? = 0
configure:5902: pgf77 -o conftest   conftestf.o conftest.o
/usr/bin/ld: /crtbegin.o: No such file: No such file or directory
configure:5905: $? = 2
configure:5927: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o

I have never seen this error before. Do you know that the pgf77 compiler works?
That is, can you compiler other F77 code with it?

Also, could you try to set FC to pgf95, and leave F90 and F77 unset?

Finally, if none of that helps, you could try the latest beta release, to see
if that handles this better:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.gz

Ticket ID: ISL-204287
Department: Support netCDF